Is the the purpose of the essay to educate, announce, entertain, or persuade?
- The purpose of the essay to educate.
Who might be interested in the topic of the essay?
- Students, peers, professor
Who would be impacted by the essay or the information within it?
- Students who are interested in the topic.
What does the reader know about this topic?
- The topic is useful & have strong thesis statement.
What does the reader need to know in order to understand the essay’s points?
- The essay is well researched. It would be helpful to use dictionary or internet search to understand unfamiliar vocabulary.
What kind of hook is necessary to engage the readers and their interest?
- A strong thesis statement and a good introduction to make reader comfortable about the rest of the writing.
What level of language is required? Words that are too subject-specific may make the writing difficult to grasp for readers unfamiliar with the topic.
- Academic level of language required. Words should be understandable and not out of context .
What is an appropriate tone for the topic? A humorous tone that is suitable for an autobiographical, narrative essay may not work for a more serious, persuasive essay.
- Tone should be depend on the topic is written about.
- Write a draft of your opening paragraph based on Chpter 3.2 Opening Paragraphs from English Composition: Connect, Collaborate, Communicate.
- NY is one of the most crowded cities in the world. People come to NY from all over the places. Subway, restaurants, sidewalk are always crowded. It’s impossible to maintain distance from one another. when coronavirus pandemic hit in NY and governor asked everyone to stay at home it felt less like reality. In few days NY became a ghost city. Only essential worker was still working outside. The photograph by Yunghi Kim shows because less people are going outside, people are able to maintain social distancing in the subway to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.