Why Art Matters

Why art matters. I never thought about this problem before. The video gave me some inspiration which let me know the significance of art.

As we all know, we can’t live without water, food and air. But it seems we can live without art. After I saw this video, I totally changed my mind. Art is important for everyone. If we compare our work to bread, then art is the medicine to heal our soul. Try to imagine a picture like this, a young man just got off work at midnight. He is so tired that he doesn’t even want to talk to anyone. He feels hopeless about his messy life. He wants to cry for his failure, but he can’t. So he put on his headphones and plays his favorite music. When the beautiful voice flows into his ears, his world is lightened up. The music gives him strong power and energy to fight. He feels that he is a brave knight, and the music is his sword which helps him against all the difficulties he meets in his life. For this young man, the music is his best medicine to remove all his troubles and makes his life full of hope.

Art is not the precious crown displayed in the palace which is unaccessible for the normal people like us. If you are a good observer, you will find that art exists everywhere like air. A beautiful house you see on the street is a kind of art. A fashionable dress you see in a shop is a kind of art. An impressive movie you watch in the cinema is a kind of art. So just slow down and look around, you will notice that you live in an art world.

4 thoughts on “Why Art Matters

1. Ri Liu

I agree with you Art is not the precious crown displayed in the palace which is inaccessible for the normal people like us. If you are a good observer, you will find that art exists everywhere like air. Everyone has the right to enjoy art and create art. Art is also an essential part of our life.

2. christopher cordovez

I agree when you statement with saying normal people like us should acknowledge art, since its all around us. How we should slow down our with our personal life and look around because maybe than with the skill of observation can help us in the future with our work life or personally life.

3. Jure Abicic

I like your take on this video because besides discussing how art can help you in every day life as described by the presenters, you also showed other ways in which art can be helpful to people in life. I also liked your post because I too did not realize the full value of art either. The aesthetic value of art, as in some of the examples you gave, is something I am familiar with and is usually why I partake in experiencing it, but all the other benefits that the presenters in the video describe, is something I was not fully aware of until after I saw the video. Plus I liked your passion in the way you spoke of your realizations.

4. Paul Fess

Yue, your point about the accessibility of art is important and it will come up again in the first episode of Berger’s Ways of Seeing