Blog Post #6

New York-The sounds of a city in lockdown

The sounds of New York City are usually loud and honking. But with commerce and regular life virtually shut down amid the COVID-19 outbreak, the city that never sleeps is uncharacteristically quiet. Listen.

On January 13, 2020, I gave birth to my fourth child. That day, I heard the first sounds of my daughter crying and I was very happy. In those moments, I had no idea that 2020 would be the most difficult year for me, my family and for many people on our planet. Exactly two months later, we were forced to isolate due to the coronavirus pandemic and the streets of New York became empty. I would like to share with you a short video “New York-The sounds of a city in lockdown” sourced from the China Global Television Network (“CGTN”) YouTube channel. During the moments of self-isolation, I did not have the opportunity to see and hear New York such calm and unhurried as it was in the first days of quarantine. According to Krukowski’s podcast in Noise and Signal, the author explains the concepts of noise and signals. Three months ago, New York was quiet, just rare signals through the noiseless city of ambulances passing by, birdsong, a lonely street musician playing alone, the rattling of chains on the fences of city playgrounds and daily evening applause for the first responders. For New York, these were silent but mournful days. Hopefully, in the near future, we will be able again to fully hear the noisy, hasty and lovely New York. As Ella Fitzgerald sings in the song “Manhattan”, “We’ll turn Manhattan into an isle of joy.”

Manhattan

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Manhattan · Ella Fitzgerald Essential Ella ℗ 1956 UMG Recordings, Inc. Released on: 1994-10-01 Producer: Norman Granz Studio Personnel, Engineer: Alan Emig Associated Performer, Vocals: Ella Fitzgerald Conductor, Associated Performer, Recording Arranger: Buddy Bregman Orchestra: Buddy Bregman Orchestra Composer Lyricist: Richard Rodgers Composer Lyricist: Lorenz Hart Auto-generated by YouTube.