Briefly answer these questions from Chapter 2.2 Prewriting in English Composition: Connect, Collaborate, Communicate:
- Is the purpose of the essay to educate, announce, entertain, or persuade?
The purpose of the essay depends on what kind of essay the writer wants to write, for example, persuasive, the writer wants to influence and persuade the reader. Narrative, the author tells a story. The purpose of the essay is entertaining because the essay could be fact or fiction. Descriptive, the writer uses specific details to describe things or person.
- Who might be interested in the topic of the essay?
Each essay has different audiences. Most students write argument essays in the school, their audience will be peers, profenssor, or tutor. However, if students send the paper online or a newspaper, the audience could be very wide.
- Who would be impacted by the essay or the information within it?
Generally, people who are interested or impacted bacsis on the topic or some information.
- What does the reader know about this topic?
The writer has to give a hook or some general information.
- What does the reader need to know in order to understand the essay’s points?
The writer has to point out clear statements such as issues and and thesis
- What kind of hook is necessary to engage the readers and their interest?
The hook could be a quote, a question, or definition of dictionary.
- What level of language is required? Words that are too subject-specific may make the writing difficult to grasp for readers unfamiliar with the topic.
It has to be college level, and very clear language because readers do not have the same background.
- What is an appropriate tone for the topic? A humorous tone that is suitable for an autobiographical, narrative essay may not work for a more serious, persuasive essay.
The tone of the essay depends on the styles. For instance, the argument, it has to be stronger than narrative because the writer has to persuade the readers, and agree with them.
2. Write a draft of your opening paragraph based on Chapter 3.2 Opening Paragraphs from English Composition: Connect, Collaborate, Communicate
Racial discrimination is not new to everyone. People are often treated unequally because of different races. People use many methods to resist and release their emotions, such as aggressive behavior, while others feel fear. The police became heroes. However, the violent law enforcement has been opposed. Violence is not a positive method that people use because there are many negative consequences. Although people use violence for a reason, it is still not the best way. People should avoid using violence.