Why Art Matters Discussion #1

In the video Why art Matters by DR. Steven Zucker and DR. Beth Harris informs us “We live in a visual world understanding and looking at thinking about the way images communicate in all kind of ways it is important in being alive.” There are many images around the world that make people think and ask questions about what they see for example a painting can show you a message or give you an idea of why this person painted this image, what was their motivation, what message does this person try to send to you, but also what do you take from looking at this drawing what message do you see when you look at it. I agree with the statement presented by both DR. Steven Zucker and DR. Beth Harris, we do indeed live in a visual world in which we use images to communicate with people in a multitude of different ways. A painting can show you a variety of ways to comprehend the image which tells us that there is no correct answer to the reason.

4 thoughts on “Why Art Matters Discussion #1

1. Valentina Bedoya

I agree with you art is subjective, hence everyone can have a different perception of the same painting, and everyone can point at different details that they think makes the painting unique. Looking at a painting can make you infer so many things about the artist who made it, like what this person was feeling at the moment, a painting can transmit a feeling from one person to another.

2. Paul Fess

Christopher, you highlight the presenters’ point that we live in a world in which we constantly communicate with images. This is an important idea that we will encounter again in Berger’s Ways of Seeing.

3. Ngawang Tashi

Hi christopher,
    I like your statement and i totally agree with you on this. I picked this prompt as well and the quote you picked were really important. thoese quote really stood out to me.